RSRC welcomes fellow rowers from other clubs to enjoy year-round rowing at our beautiful Tempe Town Lake during our Open Row sessions. Open Row sessions are not coached, and unless you have made prior arrangements with other rowers, you will be rowing in a single. Therefore, Guest Rowing is suitable for experienced rowers who have at least six months experience rowing a single. This is particularly important during the winter, at night, and in difficult rowing conditions because you will not be able to rely on others to immediately come to your assistance in an emergency. Please be aware of the rowing conditions and your skill level. Guest rowers must also be age 18+.
STEP 1 -- Email these two documents to Rio Guest Row at least 48 hours prior to your visit. Do not proceed to further steps without receiving confirmation of receipt of these documents.
- A letter from your home club (example letter) Your home coach must explicitly endorse your proficiency in a single sculling boat before you will be considered for guest rowing. At least 6 months of experience in a single scull is mandatory.
- A completed float test -- a City of Tempe requirement
STEP 2 -- purchase a Day Pass or Quarterly Membership (click HERE).
STEP 3 -- Go to our website's and select an Open Row day and time.
THINGS TO KNOW FOR YOUR ROW:
HERE is a link to directions to the boatyard. FYI -- we launch from a beach (no dock), so wear water shoes or sandals. Our beach is shown in green on the map below.
Tempe Town Lake Traffic Pattern
- Row in counter-clockwise direction heading west from Boat Beach
- Faster rowers along the shoreline; slower rowers toward the center of the lake
- Distances: West Dam to East Dam = approx. 3000 m. Mill Ave. Bridge to Rural Bridge = approx. 1300 m.